A silver plated chalice and paten were used in the convict chapel on Spike Island between 1848 and 1883.
When the convict depot on Spike Island was closed in 1883 the remaining convicts were transferred to Mountjoy Jail in Dublin. The chalice and paten were also transferred to Mountjoy where they were used for religious services for many decades.
The beautiful chalice is emblazoned with the Spike Island name and uniquely has the words 'Convict Church' printed on it, a rare distinction. Both items are on display in our Punishment block on Spike Island.